Sunday, July 6, 2008

Not Enough Water

Since I arrived in Berlin 1 week ago, I have had nothing but coffee and beer, both of which are delicious beyond belief. I had better coffee at the Deutsche Bank when we were opening up our bank account than any F-ing Starbucks I have ever been too. Ever.

And the beer here is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! They come in 0.5L bottles, about twice a 12oz bottle at home.

Incidentally, the color of my pee has turned from clear, to yellow, to this weird orange-ish brown-ish color. I'm pretty sure I should be drinking more water.

Anyway, enough about my excrement. I've been too busy adjusting to the time change, getting my visa stuff in order, going to language classes, working on papers from my thesis, and fighting a stomach bug to post anything. But if you're interested in following the in-and-outs of how the Afferent Input family is adjusting to life in Germany, I encourage you to check out Mrs. Afferent Input's blog 50% of my DNA. Lot's of funny details, including pics of Dr. AI and baby AI.

More soon later this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drink water! Remember the hiker's motto: "A good mountaineer pees in the clear!" Yeah, great beer there, tho, lucky you. PS I'm just some yayhoo who found your blog becz of the op 1% chart that went into Kevin Drum's Washington Monthly column and then on to a blog Atrios linked to. Yay for you, bigtime!

42 said...

orangey-brown pee is bad juju.

you. need. water.

I know, it's weird, but I've found that in Germany with so much beer n coffee that it's hard to get enough actual water. the tap stuff is fine, or chug down a liter of the bottled (kein gaz!) stuff.

Afferent Input said...

The problem is that in Deutschland the beer is sooooooo good that I have a hard time not drinking some every single day. I read someplace that there are almost 1,200 German breweries, and very few actually export. Plus, I find it hard to drink only one beer, which means I'm drinking at least 1 L of beer EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Thus, I can't sleep so well at night, and that where all the coffee comes in.

Yes, yes, I know I'm slowly killing myself. I'll start to drink more water before I develop a kidney stone the size of my fist.

Afferent Input said...

As 42 said, tapwater in Germany is fine. But the water in Berlin is pretty calcium-heavy. Luckily, Mrs AI and I invested in a 10 Euro Britta water filter. Good water cometh.